Monday 29 May 2017

Quilt Show Recap - Quilts UK 2017

The first of the big, must-visit shows of the year is Quilts UK at the Three Counties Showground in Malvern, Worcestershire. The showground has the wonderful Malvern Hills as it's backdrop. It's a beautiful setting and one of the reasons why the show is as popular as ever. And this year's show was no different.

My recap of the show is going to be a little sketchy though as I was only able to be there for a couple of days for personal reasons, namely my son starting his GCSEs. It's not easy knowing you need to be in two places at the same time when there is only you.

My parents did a great job as usual setting the stand up.


The quilts on display at the back were my Very Hungry Caterpillar and Galaxy Stars quilts, both of which have been projects in P&Q and my ever popular Ombre Squares quilt. The fabrics and kits for this quilt were probably the best sellers at the show, so much so that there are maybe only five or six kits left now.

So, for the days I was there; Thursday and Saturday, the show was very busy. Lots of visitors from near and far enjoying the lovely weather (in between the heavy showers) as well as the wonderful quilts on display. As my time at the show was brief and busy, I didn't get the chance to look at the quilts other than the Championship Quilt, 'Latin for Quilters' by Moira Neal. It was a quirky quilt but I loved some of the detail in it.


The quilt also won first place in the Theme category which this year was Gardener's World and the award for Fabric Painting

The only other quilt I managed to take a look at was 'Peony Ring' by Sally Bramald. This was stunningly quilted by Sally, as usual.


Peony Ring also came first in the Bed Quilt category.

Such was my time and the show so busy, that I didn't get the chance to go back to take flat shots of each quilt!

A week after the event now and I think I can say the show was my best ever at Quilts UK. Next up is the National Quilt Championships at the Sandown Racecourse in Esher, Surrey.

See you there?

No comments: